ADHERE TO THE CRITERIA
The practical characteristics of a School Without Walls programme include;
- School children who undertake their learning away from their school site or away from the conventional forms of timetabling by subject for a period of time, known as ‘a residency’
- A nominated cultural setting
- Artists in residence throughout the programme
- Pre-project CPD for all stakeholders
- Regular planning and reflection meetings built into artist, teacher and cultural setting staff time
- A mentor attached to the programme
- Children/students accessing non-teaching adults
- There needs to be a school. For each new school attending a SWW programme there needs to be at least 4 weeks contiguous residency, staff need to attend at least 1 day’s CPD and agree to attend meetings outside teaching hours.
- A school or cultural setting taking part in a School Without Walls programme for the first time must be able to provide evidence that they have cross-organisational buy-in from the governing body, the senior staff, all other staff, parents and students as applicable.
- Each school participating is required to share evidence of staff and pupils who have taken part beyond the end of the programme for evaluation and tracking purposes.
THE CULTURAL SETTING
- There must be one lead cultural setting. Each new cultural setting that hosts a SWW programme for the first time must be able to provide evidence that they have cross-organisational buy-in from the governing body, the senior staff, all other staff.
- The cultural setting must allocate staff and space exclusively to the programme
- The cultural setting will manage the budget
- The cultural setting will purchase a license that enables them to call their project School Without Walls.
- The cultural setting provides the financial guarantee over the project budget.
UNDERTAKING A SWW TRAINING PROGRAMME
In order that the programme be produced to a School Without Walls standard, using the original methodology and practices, we ask that each party involved in the School Without Walls model undertakes a short training programme delivered by the School Without Walls founders (the egg, 5×5×5=Creativity and St Andrew’s Primary School). Details available on application to: firstname.lastname@example.org